What is a shawarma?
Shawarma is a Levantine dish consisting of seasoned, stacked meat cooked on a slowly rotating vertical spit. The meat is then shaved off the spit and served in a kuboos wrap with vegetables and sauces. Shawarma is typically made with lamb, chicken, beef, or turkey.
Shawarma originates in Ottoman Turkey, and it’s become popular across the Middle East and North Africa. In recent years, shawarma has gained popularity as a street food or fast-food option in the West. There are many different ways to enjoy shawarma. The most common way is to eat it as a sandwich or wrap, but you can also find it served over rice or salads. It’s often eaten as a snack or as a main meal. So, whether you’re eating it as a sandwich or over rice, shawarma is a delicious and convenient meal option.
What is veg shawarma?
Veg shawarma is a vegetarian version of the dish that uses mushrooms or fried cauliflower in place of meat. The veggies are marinated in the same spices as the meat (typically cumin, paprika, and garlic) and then roasted on a spit. Once cooked, they are shredded and wrapped in a pita or flatbread with salad and sauce.
Is veg shawarma healthy?
Veg shawarma is a healthy option for those looking for a hearty yet nutritious meal. Shawarma is a Middle Eastern dish that is traditionally made with lamb or chicken. However, veg shawarma is just as flavorful and satisfying without the meat. Packed with veggies like tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and peppers, veg shawarma is healthy and filling.
The best part about this dish is that it can be tailored to your liking – so if you want to add in some extra protein or keep it light, you can do so easily. So whether you’re vegetarian, looking to eat healthier, or want to try something new, be sure to give veg shawarma a try!
Further reading: 6 Surprising Ways You Can Stuff A Samosa And Still Keep It Yummy
Why is veg shawarma loved?
There are many reasons why so many people love veg shawarma. Firstly, it is a very healthy and nutritious dish. It is made with vegetables, which are low in calories and fat, and high in fiber and vitamins. Secondly, it is a very versatile dish. It can be served as a main course or as a side dish. Thirdly, it is effortless to make. Fourthly, it tastes great! The combination of the spices and the vegetables makes for a delicious and flavor-packed meal.
Recipe to make Veg shawarma
Making your own veg shawarma at home is easier than you might think! With this recipe, you can enjoy all the flavor of a new and experimental shawarma without having to leave your home.
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced tomato
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
For the wraps:
Tortillas or kuboos bread
1. In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, onion, tomato, parsley, cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne pepper, and olive oil.
2. Mix well and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
3. Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
4. Grill the chickpea mixture for 5 to 7 minutes until slightly charred.
5. Remove from the grill and let cool for a few minutes before assembling the wraps.
6. To assemble the wraps, spread some hummus on a tortilla or kuboos bread then top it with the chickpea mixture.
7. Roll it up; your high-protein veg shawarma is ready to be served.
Tips to make veg shawarma
- Use a lot of spices in your marinade; this will help give the shawarma flavor. Seasonings include cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, ginger, and garlic.
- If you’re using tofu or tempeh as your protein source, make sure to press the tofu/tempeh before marinating it. This will help eliminate excess moisture and ensure that your shawarma is nice and crispy.
- Get creative with your fillings! In addition to the traditional cucumber and tomato, try adding in other veggies like lettuce, cabbage, carrots, and onions. You could also add some fruits like pineapple or mango for a bit of sweetness.
- Don’t be afraid to get messy when wrapping up your shawarma. Overstuffing is part of the fun!
This veg shawarma recipe is an excellent option for anyone looking for a hearty yet healthy meal. The dish is packed with vegetables and flavour, and can be easily customized to your liking. Whether you’re serving it as a main course or a side dish, we hope you enjoy this delicious recipe!