Biriyani is always a hearty dish enjoyed by children and adults alike, and Mutton Biriyani is the classic biriyani fancied by all. Imagine the layers of mutton and masala in the rice to give you the perfect ‘Dum’! Here is a recipe for the most sought-after Mutton biriyani of the year-
The Marination for the Mutton biryani–
- Mix curd, ginger-garlic paste, raw papaya paste, chili powder, salt, lemon juice and garam masala as the marinating paste.
- Marinate the mutton and leave it for at least 3 hours.
2) Prepare the fried onions for the Mutton biriyani-
- Heat oil in a pan and add a few pieces of sliced onion; fry until brown.
- Remove them from the pan and place them separately; these fried onion slices are called ‘Barista’.
3) The Mutton for the Mutton biriyani-
- Heat ghee in a deep-bottomed pan and, add the remaining sliced onions green chilies and stir well until onions are golden brown.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and stir well.
- Add the marinated mutton and let it cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Add masalas like Coriander, Cumin Powder and Red chili powder; mix well.
- Pour in 3 cups of water, mix and bring it to a boil; let the mutton cook on low heat.
- Further add in tomatoes, salt, Garam Masala and coriander leaves.
- Let it cook for 15 minutes; the texture of the gravy should be thick.
4) The Rice for the Mutton biriyani-
- Boil water and add in long basmati rice and spices- Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves, Black Peppercorn, Cumin, Star Anise, Bay leaf and Salt.
5) The Saffron-milk for the Mutton biriyani-
- Add saffron strands, kewra essence and rose water in 1/4th cup of warm milk.
6) Time to Layer the Mutton biryani-
- In a deep vessel, heat the ghee and spread the melted ghee throughout the bottom and sides by rotating the pan.
- Add a layer of rice, meat, fried onion slices, and ghee, and sprinkle saffron water.
- Continue the layering and make sure the top layer is of rice.
- Garnish with chopped onion, green chillies, mint and coriander.
- Cover the biriyani with aluminum foil or dough and close the lid; let the biriyani cook in this ‘dum’ for a few minutes without burning the bottom.
Serve hot and experience heaven in this aromatic ‘Mutton Biriyani’.