Malabar Chicken Biryani is a popular Indian dish typically made with chicken. However, there are many variations of the dish that can be made using a variety of meats. If you’re looking for a delicious and easy recipe that you can make at home, try our Malabar Chicken Biryani recipe. It will only take a few hours to prepare, and it will be sure to please your guests.
What is Malabar Chicken Biryani?
Malabar chicken Biryani is a popular dish in Kerala, India. It is made with cooked chicken pieces and rice cooked in spices and vinegar sauce. The dish is usually served with yogurt and chutney.
How to Make Malabar Chicken Biryani at Home
Malabar chicken Biryani is a popular Indian dish that typically comprises chicken cooked with spices in a rice cooker. Making this dish at home is easy and can be completed in less than 30 minutes.
1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
Two tablespoons of ghee or butter
One small onion, diced
One teaspoon of cumin seeds
A teaspoon of ground coriander
One teaspoon of ground cardamom
pinch of saffron threads (optional)
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch cubes
3 cups chicken broth or water
salt to taste (optional)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
Two tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves (cilantro)
Melt the ghee or butter in
- In a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds, coriander, cardamom, and saffron threads (if using), then stir in the garlic.
- Raise the heat to be high and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the chicken broth or water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt as needed and black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, topped with chicken cubes and cilantro leaves.
Tips for Making a Delicious and Nutritious Malabar Chicken Biryani
There are many versions of Malabar chicken Biryani, but the most popular is probably the creamy and tangy version made with Basmati rice. If you’re cooking this dish at home, here are a few tips to make it extra delicious:
1. Choose high-quality ingredients. The key to making a delicious and nutritious Malabar chicken Biryani is using high-quality ingredients. If you can, try to use organic or locally sourced chicken thighs instead of frozen ones. And use fresh ginger instead of pre-ground ginger packets.
2. Don’t overcook the chicken. Overcooking the chicken will result in dry and bland dishes. So err on the side of undercooking rather than overcooking it.
3. Use spices judiciously. Too much spice can overpower the delicate flavors of the chicken and rice, so start by adding just a pinch of spices to your mixture before cooking it down further in the oven or on the stovetop.
4. Serve with mango chutney and naan bread for a perfect meal! Add some fresh cilantro leaves if you like for an extra kick of flavor. Finally, don’t forget about mango chutney – it’s a key ingredient in making any Biryani dish truly delicious!
Final Notes on Malabar Chicken Biryani
If you’re looking for a flavorful and satisfying chicken Biryani recipe, look no further than this classic Kerala dish. The key to making a great Malabar chicken Biryani at home is using high-quality spices and ingredients.
To start, make the sauce by combining 1 cup of coconut milk, 2 tablespoons of ghee, 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds, and 1 teaspoon of garam masala in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil; then reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
Next, prepare the rice by cooking it in a large pot of boiling water until cooked through but still firm to the bite. Drain off any excess water before fluffing with a fork.
In a bowl, mix together ½ cup of basmati rice, 3 tablespoons of ghee (or vegetable oil), 1 onion (chopped), 2 garlic cloves (minced), 2 green cardamom pods (crushed), 1 bay leaf, ½ teaspoon of ground turmeric, and salt to taste. Spread the rice evenly in an oven-safe or casserole dish about 9×13 inches. Set aside.
Now it’s time to cook the chicken! Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 4 skinless chicken breasts and cook for about 7 minutes per side until browned and cooked through;