Chatpata Chicken Fry is one of the most popular chicken recipes in India. It is easy to make and tastes delicious. The best part is that you can serve it with rice, chapatti or even bread.
Chatpata Chicken Fry requires very few ingredients but significantly impacts your taste buds. It pairs well with either rice or chapattis as it is spicy and tangy at the same time.
This tasty dish can be cooked by everyone because it requires significantly less effort and time which makes it an excellent choice for beginners too!
- Chicken – 1 kg, cut into eight pieces.
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 5 tablespoons (add as per your taste)
- Salt to taste
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 teaspoon (1/2 tablespoon if you want it less spicy)
- Chat Masala – 1 teaspoon (1/4 tablespoon if you want it less spicy)
- Coriander Powder -1 teaspoon (1/4 tablespoon if you want it less spicy)
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoons + more as needed to make the spice level as per your taste. You can also use Kashmiri Chilli Powder or any other hot red chilli powder of your choice here. We’ve used Kashmiri Chilli Powder here because I love its tanginess along with heat! You can also try to use Kashmiri Red Chili Powder which has a more robust flavour than regular chillies.
Chicken (cut into fingers) – 500 gm
- 1 kg chicken (cut into fingers)
- You can use boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Ginger and garlic are the main ingredients of this recipe. So, if you don’t have them on hand, get ready to buy some fresh ones. Good for you if you already have these two ingredients in your pantry! You can make a paste from them at home and store it in the freezer for later use.
Salt – to taste
- For the marinade: You can add salt to the marinade, but it’s not necessary. The chicken will be seasoned well enough after cooking.
- For the final dish: Add salt to taste. If you find that your Chatpata Chicken Fry is too dry, add some water and let it simmer for a few minutes more until you get the desired consistency.
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Now add 1 tsp garam masala powder. Garam masala is a mixture of different spices and can be bought from stores or made at home, which is my preferred option. It adds a pleasant aroma to the dish and gives it some extra flavour.
Chat masala – 1 tsp
Chat masala – 1 tsp
What is chat masala?
Paprika, mustard and cumin are some of the most frequently used spice powders in Indian cooking. Chat masala is a blend of any two or more of these spices. It adds a distinct flavour and taste to almost every dish. Some other popular ingredients that you can use with chat masala are black peppercorns, fenugreek seeds, dried red chillies and coriander seeds
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder is made from the seeds of the Coriander plant. It has a slightly lemony flavour and the aroma of cilantro. We’ll use this recipe to add a nice punch to our Chatpata Chicken Fry!
How do I make coriander powder?
To make coriander powder, you need to dry roast some coriander seeds until they turn golden brown in colour (this takes about 5 minutes), then cool down and grind them into fine powder. You can also use store-bought ground coriander if you’re short on time or feeling lazy like me!
Why should I use coriander powder?
Coriander adds a nice flavour which complements our chatpata chicken fry perfectly!
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder is a spice used in Indian food. It adds a spicy flavour to the dish and can be bought from Indian shops.
Curd (optional) – 2 tbsp
Curd is an essential ingredient in this recipe. It is used to marinate the chicken and make the masala paste.
- Use a neutral oil like sunflower oil.
- Use enough oil to cover the chicken pieces.
- Do not use oil that has turned dark brown or black, as it will burn your food and taste too strong.
Vinegar or lemon juice for marination (optional) – 1-2 tbsp
This step is optional but is highly recommended. The vinegar will tenderize the chicken and make it juicier. It also prevents the chicken from getting dry while cooking.
This is a delicious chicken recipe that even beginners can try at home.
This is a delicious chicken recipe that even beginners can try at home. It is simple to make and doesn’t take long. You can use any chicken for this, but I prefer to use boneless pieces, so it’s easy to eat. The best part about this dish is that you can add any spices you want to give it more flavour!
Chicken Fry is a delicious chicken recipe that even beginners can try at home. The best part about this recipe is that it can be prepared in less than 20 minutes and served hot along with some rice or roti.