If you’re looking for a delicious, unique biryani dish to try out this winter, look no further than Amma’s Hyderabadi Biryani restaurant in Toronto. This restaurant specialises in biriyani made with rich and flavourful spices, and the result is nothing short of spectacular.
Amma’s Hyderabadi Biryani – Overview
This stunning recipe for Amma’s Hyderabadi Biryani is a must-try if you’re a fan of Indian cuisine. The dish is made with various spices and flavours that awaken your taste buds.
The Ingredients for Amma’s Hyderabadi Biryani
Amma’s Hyderabadi Biryani is a mouth-watering, stunning recipe that is sure to please. The dish comprises several layers of aromatic, succulent biryani rice, topped with a delicious mix of Indian spices and creamy chicken or lamb sauce.
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
1 onion, chopped
3 green cardamom pods
2 bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
4-6 whole black peppercorns
1 kg boneless, skinless chicken or lamb, cut into 1 cm cubes
3 large tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves (optional)
1 cup full-fat milk (or unsweetened condensed milk)
For the sauce:
4 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
1 onion, diced
Four cloves garlic, minced 1-inch piece ginger, grated one teaspoon cumin seeds, two teaspoons ground coriander seed, one teaspoon ground turmeric, one bottle (400 ml) thick tomato sauce.
Further Reading: Most Delicious and Famous Biryanis in India
The Preparation of Amma’s Hyderabadi Biryani
Amma’s Hyderabadi Biryani is a stunning recipe that will leave your taste buds tingling. The dish is made with layers of chicken, mutton, and beef cooked in a signature sauce made of tomatoes, spices, and fresh basil.
For the chicken and mutton layers, you must first brown the meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the meat has been browned, add in the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
To prepare the beef layer, you will need to brown the steak in the same skillet as the chicken and mutton. Then, add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, cinnamon sticks, cloves, black pepper, and cardamom pods. Stir everything around until well combined, then let simmer for 30 minutes.
Once all of the layers have been prepared, it is time to assemble the dish. First, spread a bed of rice on your serving platter, then top with one layer of chicken, one layer of mutton, and one layer of beef. Finally, pour Amma’s signature sauce overtop and serve warm!
Further Reading: The Origins of Biryani
How to Make Amma’s Hyderabadi Biryani
We will outline the steps necessary to make this delicious dish.
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread the cumin seeds on a baking sheet and roast for 5 minutes until fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Split the cardamom pods and bay leaves open with a knife. Add them to a spice grinder or mortar and pound until you have a powder. Alternatively, you can crush them using your hands.
3. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the ghee to a boil. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
4. Add the chicken, spice blend, and chicken broth/water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Add the long grain rice and stir well. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
6. Remove from heat and let cool completely before serving.
7. To make the biryani dish, preheat a large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat. Add 1 TBSP of ghee and swirl to coat. Add the chicken thighs and cook until browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
8. Transfer the cooked chicken to a baking dish or casserole and set aside.
9. Return the skillet or wok to high heat and add another TBSP of ghee. Add the cauliflower florets (if using) and cook for 2 minutes, until lightly browned but still crisp-tender.
10. Stir in the cooked chicken thighs and rice mixture, mixing well to combine everything together.
11. Serve the biryani dish warm, topped with a sprinkle of toasted cumin seeds and cardamom pods.
Further Reading: 7 Lesser-Known Regional Biryani’s Everyone Must Try At Least Once
The Serving of Amma’s Hyderabadi Biryani
Amma’s Hyderabadi Biryani is a stunning dish, and it would be not easy to find anyone who doesn’t enjoy it! The biryani is composed of a variety of Indian spices and flavours that come together to create an unforgettable experience.
When preparing this dish, it is important to use the finest ingredients possible. The rice must be cooked perfectly, and the lamb should be tender and juicy. Amma’s biryani also features a variety of vegetables, which add flavour and moisture to the dish.
If you’re looking for a delicious, original biryani recipe, be sure to try Amma’s Hyderabadi Biryani!