It is well-known that what we eat directly impacts our health. Eating nutritious foods helps boost our immunity and keep us healthy, while eating unhealthy foods can lead to weight gain, illness, and other health problems. But did you know that the food we eat can also impact our immune system?
Certain foods contain essential nutrients for maintaining a strong and healthy immune system. For example, vitamin C is known to help fight off infections, while beta-carotene (a precursor to vitamin A) helps protect against certain types of cancer. In addition, some research suggests that probiotics (live bacteria found in yoghurt and other fermented foods) may help improve gut health and strengthen the body’s defences against infection.
On the other hand, certain foods can weaken the immune system. For instance, processed meats and refined carbohydrates have been linked to inflammation, making the body more susceptible to disease. And excessive alcohol consumption can impair the ability of white blood cells (which play a crucial role in immunity) to function correctly.
Here are 8 top foods to boost your immune system
1. Blueberries are little powerhouse immune system boosters. These berries are powerhouse of antioxidants and vitamin C, which are essential for a robust immune system. Add some blueberries to your morning yoghurt or oatmeal, or enjoy them as a healthy snack throughout the day.
2. Another excellent food for boosting your immune system is salmon. Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to promote immunity by reducing inflammation. Eaten regularly, salmon can help keep your immune system operating at peak performance.
3. Another excellent option for boosting your immune system is bone broth. Bone broth contains protein, vitamins, minerals, and collagen, which contribute to a healthy immune response. Sipping on some hot bone broth when you’re feeling under the weather can help you get back on your feet faster.
4. Garlic is yet another well-known immunostimulant food. Garlic has antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that make it ideal for fighting off infection and maintaining a robust immune system. You can add garlic to any savoury dish or take it in supplement form if you’re not a fan of the taste.
Some more foods that boost your immune system
5 . One final food that’s great for boosting immunity is ginger. Ginger has long been used as a natural remedy for nausea, but it also contains compounds that support immunity. Fresh ginger added to tea or smoothies is one easy way to incorporate this root vegetable into your diet.
6. Red peppers are another excellent food for boosting your immune system. Like blueberries, red peppers are packed with antioxidants and vitamin C. Add some diced red pepper to your next salad or soup to give your immune system a boost.
7. Green tea is another excellent option for boosting your immunity. Green tea contains polyphenols, which are compounds that have been shown to reduce inflammation and promote immunity. Enjoy a cup of green tea daily to keep your immune system operating at peak performance.
8. Turmeric is yet another well-known immunostimulant food. Turmeric has antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that make it ideal for fighting off infection and maintaining a robust immune system. You can add turmeric to just about any savoury dish or take it in supplement form if you’re not a fan of the taste.