Watermelon is one of those fruits I can’t get enough of. It’s like tasting summer in every bite, and there’s nothing like enjoying the juicy fruit on a hot day. The thing is, you don’t have to enjoy watermelon just by itself. There are many different ways to use the versatile fruit, from making delicious drinks to serving it in salads. Here are four creative ways to use watermelon this summer:
Watermelon and Tofu Salad
- Add tofu. Tofu can be a go-to protein option for vegetarians, but it also works in this dish because it absorbs the dressing and marinates beautifully. To make the salad a little heartier, add chopped nuts such as almonds or hazelnuts to the tofu mixture.
- Add herbs. Fresh herbs like mint, cilantro and basil are always good options if you have them on hand—but don’t worry if they’re not available at your grocery store right now: dried herbs will work fine too!
- Add protein by adding cooked beans such as black beans or chickpeas (canned are acceptable). They won’t take long to boil; simmer them until tender for about 10 minutes before mixing them into your salad bowl, along with everything else listed above!
Watermelon Summer Daiquiri
- Juice the watermelon in a juicer.
- Mix rum, lime juice and sugar in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Pour into glasses filled with crushed ice and garnish each glass with mint leaves or slices of lime.
Fruity Watermelon Slushies
Another way to enjoy the sweet watermelon is by adding it to your favourite summertime cocktail. You can find a recipe for this fruity slushy. It includes:
- 2 cups watermelon juice
- 1½ cups fresh strawberries, diced (or 1½ cups frozen)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup mint leaves chopped fine and bruised with a rolling pin or mortar and pestle
- ½ teaspoon sugar per serving (if you want the drink to be sweeter, use ¼ cup sugar instead)
Then add everything into a blender, blend until smooth and pour over ice. Add rum if you want an adult version!
Spicy Grilled Watermelon
While watermelon is a summer staple, you can use it in many different ways. The fruit has a lot of lycopene and antioxidants, which are great for keeping your immune system strong. Watermelon also contains vitamins A and C and fibre that help keep your digestive system healthy.
If you’re looking for ways to use this versatile fruit, here are four recipes that will make your taste buds happy:
Sip, dip, and enjoy juicy watermelon as a simple summer treat.
Watermelon is a summer treat. It’s versatile, healthy and easy to make, grow and share.
Here are four clever ways to use this refreshing fruit in the warm weather:
We hope you found these recipes helpful and delicious! Remember to experiment in your kitchen with watermelon—we’d love to hear what new flavours you come up with. And if you’ve already tried one of our recipes, we want to hear about it in the comments below!